What is Time?

     How does time affect you? My whole life I have had this preconceived idea on time as something that ages. When I ruminate about my childhood, so much has differed because of the change in time.  Therefore, time only exists if there is some sort of change in the present. In other words, McTaggart refers to this as the A-series, "... the series of positions running from the far past through the near past to the present, and then from the present to the, near future and the far future...". In other words, the A series has distinct properties such as past, present and future.  To me, time has some sort of beginning to end, just like when you wake up in the morning and go to bed at nighttime has changed throughout the day. 

     When McTaggart refers to the "unreality of time", he refers to the B and C series. These series are similar in the sense that there is no particular order between time unlike the A series. The B series refers to time in a sense that one activity can not start, until another is finished. 

    After reading McTaggart's argument on time, I can fully view his reasoning however, I can not fully attain his understanding. My beliefs behind time have a particular order on how things should be done. For example, generations have grown up on the beliefs that assignments, chores, school should all be done in a particular order.    

 

Comments

  1. I never really thought of time having an ending before, to me it just has always seemed continuous. Although, I think your example makes things pretty clear. For time to exist there must be change, which is why McTaggart was able to reject the B series. Time can also not be permanent, which is why the A series is superior. Although, after reading the article I understood McTaggart rejecting the A series as well because of those two contradictions. How events like those in the past, present, and future all have to be different, but then he mentioned how once something is in the present it goes to the past, so therefore that doesn't hold true. The article was a bit confusing for me, but in my opinion I would say that the C series was the closest to showing time exists, because there were no key contradictions mentioned. The only issue I saw was that there was no set direction for this series, and for time to be real there must be change and direction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Matt,

    Why do you think that the B series has no particular order? I read it as the opposite, only the B series are "fixed" in time, and the properties of all of them can change. In this sense, I am curious to know your take on this example: we applied to Siena, we were admitted to Siena, and we chose to go to Siena. According to the A series, these events all happened in the past, but the B series allows us to order them. Can you explain why the A series has a particular order?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Matt,

    I also spoke to McTaggart's usage of the "A Series" in order to describe how time requires change. However, in this section of the article, McTaggart speaks to how the "A Series" is fallible in that the usage of similar terms to describe time leads to a circular argument. Do you agree with this notion?

    Best,
    Drew Califano

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Darby's Reparations

Reparations